Monday, October 19, 2009

It Works This Way, See...

I work at a lady's shoe store. Said store is located in a charming historic city which, naturally, attracts gaggles of tourists, who travel in groups of at least five at all times and must (simply must) walk all of them abreast along the potentially ample sidewalk so as to hamper pedestrian traffic, and they always look either up at the tops of buildings or down at the tour maps in their hands, so it strikes me that they miss a lot more of the city than they see of it.

The aforementioned shoe store has an entrance - as I imagine do most shoppable shoe stores - that looks a lot like a large pane of glass in a wooden frame and with a door handle. When you attempt to enter the store from the outside, you must pull (not push) the handle, and the door will yield. I can't explain it - that is simply the way it is.

I must add that this is a double door, one side of which we keep locked for whatever purpose. Therefore I feel it must be admitted that only one half of the door is an entryway, and the other half is a lie. It often confuses customers, especially the ones who reach first for the handle to the door that doesn't open. But humans are rational, and after yanking once or twice with no results they almost always realize that only brute force will open it, and almost always eagerly reach for its neighboring handle, sure of success, and are almost always right.

I say "almost always" because this past Saturday I witnessed a situation that shook my faith in mankind.


I stood at the rear of the store behind the cash wrap counter. My part-timer Denise stocked shoes along a nearby wall. A woman approached from the outside and tried to open the locked door.


It didn't open.

I had glanced up at hearing it but this happens so frequently I rarely acknowledge these cases anymore. I resumed whatever task I was doing.

She tried again on the same door. Oh my, it was still locked. Imagine, its still being locked! I paid no heed. She would figure it out soon enough.

Again, she jerked hard on the same unyielding door. And then again. And again. By now the noise had really begun to intrigue both Denise and myself. We looked up to see the woman throwing her hands up in exasperation and giving us some nasty looks as if to say, "WHAT THE HECK IS YOUR PROBLEM WHY CAN'T I COME IN?!"

Denise made a few emphatic arm gestures and mouthed the words "other door" in an attempt to communicate with the estranged creature.

At this the lady finally grasped the other door handle. Phew, I thought. It's over.

She gave it a not-even-half-hearted tug, so the fact was not readily apparent to her that it would have opened had she really tried. I suppose she assumed that this door was also locked, and would believe nothing else. Another dirty look shot in our direction. I couldn't believe it. This woman was attempting to open the unlocked door and was failing.

By now several other customers were staring curiously at the scene, a few onlookers seemed as if they wanted to help communicate but were too amused to do anything about it, Denise was still motioning frantically to the distressed person locked outside - as it were - and I was shaking with mirth but couldn't laugh, for the sake of professionalism.

At this point a man who happened to be in the store at the time, and who found this situation as unbelievable as I did, walked briskly to the door and effortlessly swung it open.
"THIS door." was all he said.

I think what I took away from all this is that I should never expect too much of anyone.

3 comments:

  1. I love the look of white text on black, but it is so bad for the eyes. Especially at 2am....all...is...getting....fuzzy....can't seee....

    Well anyway, this fantastically hilarious story whets my curiosity: which door is it that is locked? When approaching from the outside, the right or the left? I'd guess the left?

    It is interesting that as it happens, the American tendency is to target the right door whenever there is a set of double doors. That is why it is considered a structural foible to make the door on the right be that which bolts into the bottom and top of a doorjam. Indeed, knowing this, I stopped briefly outside the Christendom Notre Dame grad school recently when I found the right door to be locked, but a closer look made me realize the door's backward construction, so I tried the left, and it moved upon its hinges.

    Knowing this American propensity, in World War II, the retreating Germans sought to slow down their Allied pursuers on the Western Front by booby-trapping abandoned towns, forcing the Allies to take their time when moving in. Amongst many intriguing techniques, such as attaching highly sought after artifacts, such as German pistols, binoculars, etc, to the pull pins on hand grenades, the Germans freely attached trip wires to the right door only in double door sets to the entrances of buildings they mined with explosives, so that the Germans could come and go freely until they had all left the city, knowing that Americans I always opened the door on the right.

    The Allies did not catch onto this 'til much later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive my delayed response - I actually wasn't aware until two minutes ago that you had posted this comment.

    It is indeed the right side that opens, and the left side that remains bolted. This usually doesn't cause a problem except upon leaving; from the reverse side of the door people still attempt the "right" side first.

    I now instinctively make a note of such things, especially when there is a push or pull involved and from which direction you must perform the action.

    I found that World War II story quite fascinating. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a side note, you shouldn't be up at 2 in the morning anyway, so serves you right.

    ReplyDelete